Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sangria

Reena and I went to Sangria in downtown Royal Oak last Saturday. Sangria is a Spanish restaurant that is known for their tapas and their sangria. It's best to go to Sangria on a sunny summer's day and sit outside while sipping on sangria. Sangria is also unique, in my experience, because it serves a white sangria, made with white wine.

We ordered a pitcher of the white sangria and three different tapas to share. The first was a spinich and asiago cheese combination set in a warm tomato sauce and served with garlic crostinis. We ate this as an appetizer and then ordered two more dishes: mussels in a garlic, butter, and whitewine sauce; and saugage with tri-colored peppers and onions cooked in a spicy tomato sauce. The sausage was probably the best dish. The sausage was spicy and went well with the peppers and onions. The mussels were also a pleasant surprise. I had never eaten them before, and was astounded that as I ate them I could smell the ocean. This was particularly astounding because Royal Oak is nowhere near the ocean. The sauce that the mussels were cooked in also helped make this dish a success. It was light and matched well with the mussels. If the mussels were as tasty as the sausage this would have been my favorite dish of the night.

All in all it was a very pleasant evening. We ate for a long time enjoying the white wine sangria and sampling the dishes. If it's a warm summer's evening I'd recommend Sangria to anyone looking for a relaxing meal.

No comments: